Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Questions 11 and 12

Question 11. I think that the natives that took side with the English were sensible. The tribes that joined them had nothing against the English and had always been in good standing with them. Plus, I think that each tribe considered themselves so unique and their own persons that they didn't really think of it as fighting against their own. If I were a native it would have depended on what tribe I was in on whether or not I sided with the English. If I were in a tribe that had always had good relations with the English and considered them trustworthy people I see no reason why I wouldn't have joined them in the fight. However, had I been in a tribe that had constantly bickered and argued with the English I probably would have fought against them.



Question 12. I don't think that either side in King Phillip's War could claim moral superiority. In mind both sides did things that were despicable. I have no idea how the English could find it biblically justifiable to publicly display a chopped off head. On the natives side they didn't really have a bible or such document to go by God's standards, but I think that just by your conscience and moral ethics they should have realized that some of the things they did were gruesome. So, I don't think that either side had a claim to moral superiority.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you show you really "got it" that the various groups were doing their own thinking, seeing themselves as a unique group rather than (as people sometimes see them) as a generic "native, and therefore automatically anti-settler, group.
    Thanks for thoughtful answers throughout.

    ReplyDelete