Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Exploring Extremes

When and by whom was the South Pole first reached?


Ronald Amundsen became the first person to reach the South Pole in December of 1911.




When and by whom was the North Pole?


Robert Edwin Peary, an engineer in the American navy, reached the north pole on April 6, 1909.




Who led an expedition to summit Everest in 1924 and what happened to him? When was the summit actually reached for the first (documented) time?


George Leigh Mallory led an expedition to summit Everest in 1924. No one knows exactly what happened to him. The first documented time to reach the summit of Everest was on May 29, 1953.





After locating these facts, reflect on why people would want to engage in these types of extreme activities. Why would someone do that? Would you? Why or why not? Is it worth it to risk your life just to do something like this?


I think that everybody has different reasons why they would do something as extreme as climb Mt. Everest. Some people are trying to find themselves, others are bored and rich, some feel they have to resolve something and the only way to do it is through climbing Mt. Everest, some are trying to check something off their bucket list, and others are what people call thrill seekers. For me to climb Mt. Everest I would have to have a piece of paper with a one hundred percent guarantee that I would still have my life, and even then I still don't think I would chance it. Even though I find Mt. Everest absolutely gorgeous, I just don't find it worth the risk, time or energy it would take me to climb it.

No comments:

Post a Comment